Quinoa, Kale, Pine Nut Salad, OH MY!
Recipe type: Salad
This is a delightful salad; great at room temperature, too!
- 4 Tablespoons EVOO, divided
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cups white quinoa, rinsed
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 cups chopped kale (about 12 ounces)
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup pine nuts (get a big bag from Costco and keep in freezer-- loads cheaper this way)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1.5 ounces)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute, stirring frequently until translucent (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the quinoa and saute, stirring until lightly toasted (2-3 minutes).
- Add the water and kale, stirring to combine.
- Bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer again, covered until quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed. (15-18 minutes)
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and mustard until smooth. Add a pinch each of salt and pepper. Slowly add the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Drizzle the dressing over the cooled quinoa mixture. Stir in pine nuts and Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.