Veggie Burger (Eggplant)
Recipe type: Meal, vegetarian
Serves: 4-5 Servings
Capture meaty texture and true "hamburger" taste using the Meatball eggplant as the main ingredient, taking this veggie burger to a whole new level. (From Burpee.com)
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ cup loosely packed parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sized "Meatball" eggplants
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Mix first two ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
- Mince parsley leaves and garlic clove, add the olive oil and combing with egg and breadcrumb mixture.
- Peel "Meatball" eggplants and grate them with the largest holes of a hand grater on a paper towel to absorb excess moisture, adding salt and pepper last. You will obtain a soft mixture. If it is too watery, add a tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
- Form into patties and cook in a heavy pan, or in the new parlance cook it "a la plancha", in a small amount of your favorite oil. (Yeah, that just sounds snobby to me, too!) Due to the soft texture of the mixture, you will not be able to cook this veggie burger on a grill.
- Cook some thick slices of white onion (I like our Walla Walla the very best) at the same time, in the same pan.
- Serve with cooked sliced onion, fresh-sliced tomato (I think Jardin could help you in the tomatoe department, as well!) and freshly-picked leaves of lettuce. (I'd add some Jardin pickles too, but what do I know?)